Stage 3: Helping your Child's Communication

Step 1: What to do if you suspect a communication problem

Visit your GP and ask for a referral to a Speech and Language Therapist (SLT) or contact your local SLT department directly. You can self refer.

Ask your school for advice and support. Come and talk to us!

Key message: DO NOT ACCEPT other health care practitioners telling you your child will ‘grow out of it’ as they may not.

Visit the NHS website for information and support.

Visit the Royal College of Speech Language Therapists for more information of speech therapy and how to find local therapists.